Friday, August 7, 2009

marking time...ANSDAG and FODELSEDAG

this weekend is about marking the passage of time. 

our first anniversary is this sunday, AND we are attending the birthday of my sister-in-law's SAMBO-esque daughter-in-law on saturday night. She turns 25 on our anniversary actually- the 9th- ( and sacrificed her b'day celebration last year so that we could get married last Satuday.) 
We owe this to her and she is an absolute DOLL- one of the "Best Things About Sweden" in my book to date. We keep talking about going into business together. She'd be perfect, i think. we have to keep working on it. She's such a treat.

so,it should be a really great time...

sooooo....as this is about the passage of time......

....we head off to Lysekil, a gorgeous little coastal fishing village where the hubbie grew up and where his family still lives. Every time i go there i enjoy it. Already in the 2 plus years i've been in sweden, this little town has marked some of the happiest moments in my life, so it is always a thrill to be there: my first trip there, falling in love with the hubbie on the cliffs over looking the sea with the midnite sun , fishing , "stone-hugging", lobstering, our wedding, friends and family visiting.... 

what memories already i have of this spot...

i guess one of my  favourite moments was the time of my very first trip to lysekil.... 
i had just spent some time with Roy in Paris and London- we'd met 6 weeks earlier in India -we were in "LUV"- in that google-y stupid way that you are when you walk( float) around thinking only of life in terms of HIM for months on end...
we had had to see each other!,... so i was on a break from india due to return for the rest of the summer. we arrived to lysekil late-missing a ferry,  about 10:30 on a gogeous june weekend( at the time i assumed "typical" weather...HA! )
roy announced to me that his family was all waiting for us to eat dinner and holding it for us, as we took the ferry across. i was over-whelmed by the lovely ferry trip, the adorable village, and we made our way to the table in the back yard of roy's sister's home....

i remember that first moment seeing everyone there!.....ahhhh!!....

at that table, were many of the people that were to take part in the "play of my life" from that point onwards. the sun was shining- ( it was only 10:30 at night!) , the umbrella was up on the deck and there sat - to me- the most gorgeous group of scandinavians ever assembled with loads of food and.....( natch!) I will always remember a huge GORGOEUS round of  uncut cheese- waiting! 

Martha Stewart a la sweden! I had ARRIVED! 

such a memory. blondes everywhere( !) my sis-in-law's family was all there, my husbands' youngest son...what a group of people that i met on that magical nite. 

if there was any doubt i had in my head prior about how crazy i was about roy that did it....
i still laugh when i recall what went through my head when i saw the little assemblage there;" well, that does it for me," i told myself!  i'm signed on- for life!", as I took a slice of that gorgeous cheese!....

in my memory that night still visits me every time i return to the house...

the conversation still sparkles with broken english from the gorgeous blonde sun-tanned  swedes ,lights glitter in the umbrella, and the candles on the table and laughs still ring out in the air...always and forever...what a night!

sooo....this weekend now,we celebrate a birthday and our anniversary, the passage of time, and in short, how we are now  from when we were there....then.....

funny how that first meeting is still frozen in time, for me, just as fresh as yesterday.....

A LESSON LEARNED: i'm even learning to make wonderful happy memories "over here,"....in my new home! and sometimes it's OK to overlook first anniversaries when it's for a very special person and to "celebrate" another day!...( it's maturity I smuggle tell myself that allows me to say that one!...)

it's all good, and more memories will be in the making after this weekend I am sure!....

SWEDISH WORDS for the DAY:
2 of 'em:
ANSDAG ( ok with a DOT above the first A- that 's ANNIVERSARY
FODELSEDAG ( ok- with 2 DOTS over the O!) that's BIRTHDAY!( ok- i knew this one- but i didn't know ANSDAG!)

...time, it seems has some lovely ways of marking itself......and of marching on.....

...even here in sleepy little sweden !...
 

No comments: